Monday, May 26, 2008

1st morning on the trail

I got on the trail at about 9:15 last night after I performed a wedding. My plan was to only go a mile and a half to one of my favorite "close" spots. My favorite "close" spot was also the favorite of a family, including two little boys. I heard on say in his best kid-whisper, "I bet he is so late because he live in another state." I thought about how I wanted to take it easy in the morning and realized this was not the place for me. With it being such a beautiful night, I moved on...

I am hammocking on this trip and I thought with all the trees in the woods it would be a great idea. What I didn't think about this time of year is poison oak climbing up all the trees!

Along the way I spooked some wild-life that had bedded down for the night... Which also spooked me.. Two families of deer but the thing that weirded me out was a pair of eyes lit up by my headlamp... That didn't run... Don't know what it was... I just moved on!

About 11:30 I found a nice spot.. Two trees with no poison oak! I got my hammock and food bag hung fairly quick then off to bed with coyotes barking and howling in the not to distance... Hey, maybe that was the eyes?

I good night's sleep, a little coffee water heating on my coolfly, and a pop-tart and I'll be ready to roll. Maybe lunch on Blood Mtn. It is a beautiful day!



Scott Hearn
From my mobile device

2 comments:

Jeremiah said...

Hey PS!

Great to see your on the AT! It seems you had an eventful first night! Glad to see you didnt have any encounters with them coyotes! lol.

I did a few miles on Memorial day at Turkey Run State Park, which was fun. Will blog about it.

I am so excited that you are posting using your mobile phone! Isnt it awesome! Cant wait to hear more about your trip!

Hike On!
Shepherd

Mac said...

Hey PS,

Beautiful, so glad you were able to get out on the trail. Sounds like you are solo, perhaps more time for reflection...

Wish I was there. Post lots of pics

Have a great hike.

Mac